Re: Comparing Professionals

Dale wrote,

"Rather, there should be a system of merit pay for teachers: People who
perform better should be rewarded, and this gives everyone the incentive to
improve performance."

How will performance be measured?  I don't disagree with the concept, but I
wonder how to measure performance when one considers all the variables.  Do
we look at how their students do? An advanced placement teacher is going to
look good in terms of the performance of  her students, when compared to
other teachers, but does that mean that she's necessarily performing better
than the other teachers?

I know that just about any teacher judged on the basis of my performance
until I was 27 would have been in danger of losing a job.

Sunil