"the ordinance"

Visionaries and Council Members,

        I add my voice to the fray and don't wish to incite a flood of rebuttals clogging the 2020 list.  I don't have time to follow all the posts here, but I simply hope to be heard. For those interested, it's a bit lengthy, so delete if you please.

        I do not write as a promoter of public nudity.  I write as Moscow citizen who is deeply offended by the new ordinance, and as a woman who rejects the notion that one set of laws shall govern women, and another set of laws shall govern men.
        It is commonly understood that humans are whole beings, much more than our physical bodies.  Both males and females are composed of body, mind, spirit, emotion, heart.  Though I personally have no desire to be topless in public, no matter, the law makes me feel sad and repressed, as the unfortunate majority of male council members see fit to rule what is (or is not) appropriate for women to be, do, or represent.  Should we also legislate the voyeuristic, predatory thoughts of all those who view women merely as sex objects?  To govern all women's behavior according to the actions of a few assumes that, as a class, we lack discretion and the ability to individually determine the image we choose to present in social settings.  Society places enough pressure on women's behavior, in the form of labels attached to anyone who does not let others rule her sexuality, e.g. "whore", "evil woman", "unvirtuous", and more unmentionables.  Women own their bodies and the choice to display them, or not.  Women also reap the social consequences in the form of condemnation or approval.
        Repeatedly on this list I have seen mention that humans are always assumed to gravitate toward the most dark, lowly behaviors if not for laws to prevent them.  I, on the contrary, believe that most individuals seek the highest good in themselves and others, and I prefer to believe that the vast majority of us move toward the light, not the dark.
        Although the protection of children from viewing womens' breasts has been cited in defense of this ordinance, I will fiercely protect my daughter from attitudes that may cause her to be ashamed of her body or beliefs that convince her that someone else can tell her what she should, or should not, do with her body.  As her parent, I can guide her and help her understand how to move through this world, but ultimately only she can decide her actions.
        I do not believe that the female form must be regulated and concealed, rather than celebrated, for its obvious biologic, reproductive function.  If anything, women should be honored, rather than condemned, for possessing abilities to bear children and nurture them, a feat that so often involves self-sacrifice.
        I must resist whatever gives encouragement to the will to dominate and stand with women who are being disrespected by this sexist, unconstitutional law.  Women should not be lumped as a class, any more than men should.
        I sincerely hope that this community can achieve a conscious, respectful dialogue in which everyone has a place at the table, irrespective of beliefs or dogmas.  The fundamental truth is that every human being deserves respect and the right to his or her beliefs.  I honor all faiths (or lack thereof) as intimate and personal to all who believe (or don't believe).  Public policy should reflect pluralism and diversity, not domination.
        That being said, it is my personal belief that most (not all) men have enjoyed many privileges by virtue of their gender... Now it is our task to reassure them continually as we take from them the privileges they have had for so long, take from them the luxury of not having to be weaned from their mothers' care, because they can count on wives, mistresses to play mother to them still.  We convince these individuals that this loss will not be as grievous as they fear, that the pleasures of relating to others as equals may really prove greater than the pleasure of relating to others as merely shadows of themselves, second selves.  There is the inevitability of panic on the part of many -- both men and women ---they are so used to the present state of things.  And so, we reassure them that we respect all human beings, at the same time we stubbornly refuse them the old relationships based on inequality and domination.  We respect all human beings, even though we may disapprove of another's actions  or beliefs, we nevertheless offer respect for their essential right to individuality.
        Please don't fear those who are different from you, unless they are trying to force you to do their will.
        I have a sincere hope that, as a circle of community voices, we can find a solution to this issue that is equitable and acceptable to ALL.

Respectfully to all,

Sharon Sullivan

Back to TOC