Re: Idaho sales tax exemptions

Kelley wrote:

> I know that Vision 2020 readers
> would be very interested in any data that shows that we should pay teachers
> $10K/yr. if we want REAL quality education.  It would let us know exactly
> how seriously we should take your study.

There's an old saying: "the mind justifies what the heart has chosen". I doubt there's anything anyone could say/prove/demonstrate that would change a liberal's mind regarding government schools. Besides, the government establishment has a vested interest in making it stay mediocre.

> Arguing that spending more money for less schools might be interesting, and
> if you have data, you should share it.

Here's two for starters.

1. The landmark Coleman Report (1966) established that the determinants of student performance were family background and the student’s peer group not resourcing. [Coleman, James et al. Equality of Educational Opportunity. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1966.] This research has never been overturned in the last 36 years, and in fact it was recently reconfirmed. ["School Resources and Student Performance," in Gary Burtless, ed., Does Money Matter? The Effect of School Resources on Student Achievement and Adult Success. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution, 1996, pp. 43-73.]

2. 1994 research by Hedges, Laine, and Greenwald attempted to find a correlation with school resourcing. Hanushek (1994) provided the rebuttal, questioning the validity of the techniques on many grounds. [Hanushek, Eric A. "Money Might Matter Somewhere: A Response to Hedges, Laine and Greenwald." Educational Researcher, May 1994, 23, pp. 5-8.]

The rest of the research references are at the bottom.

> However, I would caution you against making a linear assumption about money
> dispensed vs. quality of education.

See Jack Wenders' excellent articles:
- Why public school teachers are over-paid (http://www.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/Essays%20In%20Persuasion/New2/Teacher_Comp_Whole.pdf)
- The Teacher's Salary Grid (http://www.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/Essays%20In%20Persuasion/New2/The_GridUnion_Review.pdf)
- Teacher's Pay (http://www.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/Essays%20In%20Persuasion/4/B-TEACHERS__PAY-84(MSW).pdf)
- Teacher Supply and Demand (http://www.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/Essays%20In%20Persuasion/New/Teacher_Supply_and_Demand.pdf)

Wenders is one of your own: a UI professor (albeit not at WSU). But he's got his PhD in economics from Northwestern (not a shabby school there!). His excellent letters in the Moscow-Pullman Daily News have *never* been rebutted.

> Post your data.  It's condescending not to.  You really don't want to have a
> battle of condescension, because as a university professor, I would win
> hands down.  ;-)

You're not the only university professor on this list. And, yes, professor's are usually some of the most condescending people I know. But you know the old adage -- if you cannot work, teach. Makes me wonder how being a teacher can make one so prideful (since condescension comes from pride)...

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

  • Ballou, Dale, and Michael Podgursky. 1997.  Teacher Pay and Teacher Quality. Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.

  • Ballou, Dale, and Michael Podgursky. 2000a.  “Reforming Teacher Preparation and Licensing: What Is the Evidence?” Teachers College Record 9/13/00 http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10434

  • Ballou, Dale, and Michael Podgursky. 2000b.  “Reforming Teacher Preparation and Licensing: Continuing the Debate” Teachers College Record 102 1: 5-27 http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10524

  • Ballou, Dale, and Stephanie Soler. 1998. “Addressing the Looming Teacher Crunch” Washington, DC. Progressive Policy Institute. (http://www.ppionline. org/ppi_ci.cfm?contentid=1652&knlgAreaID=110&subsecid=135)

  • Barro, Stephen M. 1992. “Models for Projecting Teacher Supply, Demand, and Quality: An Assessment of the State of the Art.” In Teacher Supply, Demand, and Quality, Erling E. Boe and Dorothy M. Gifford, eds. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.

  • Ehrenberg, Ronald G., Dominic J. Brewer, Adam Gamoran and J. Douglas Willms, “The Class Size Controversy,”Psychological Science in the Public Interest, May 2001. Draft: February 6, 2001 (http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/depts/cheri/work.html). A more popular version titled "Does Class Size Matter?" appeared in Scientific American, Nov. 2001).

  • Grissmer, David W., Ann Flanagan, Jennifer Kawata, Stephanie Williamson. 2000. Improving Student Achievement: What State NAEP Test Scores Tell Us.  Santa Monica: The RAND Corporation. (http://www.rand.org/publications /MR/MR924/)

  • Hanushek, Eric A. 1986. “The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools” Journal of Economic Literature 24 3(September): 1141-1177.

  • Idaho State Board of Education. 2001. Idaho’s MOST Forecast Report: Idaho Teacher Supply and Demand 2000-2010. Boise, ID: Idaho State Board of Education. October 19, 2001. http://www.sde.state.id.us/MOST/ForecastStudyUpdate.htm

  • Lieberman, Myron. 1991. Public Education: An Autopsy. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.

  • Peltzman, Sam. 1993. “The Political Economy of the Decline of American Public Education” Journal of Law and Economics 36 (April): 331-70.

  • Peltzman, Sam. 1996. “Political Economy of Public Education: Non-College Bound Students” Journal of Law and Economics 39 (April): 73-120.

  • United States Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. 1998. Private School Universe Survey, 1997-98. Washington, D.C.: National Center for Education Statistics.

  • Walsh, Kate. 2001. Teacher Certification Reconsidered: Stumbling for Quality. Baltimore, MD: The Abell Foundation. www.abell.org

  • Walsh, Kate, and Michael Podgursky. 2001. Teacher Certification Reconsidered: Stumbling for Quality: A Rejoinder. Baltimore, MD: The Abell Foundation. www.abell.org

  • Wenders, John T. 2002. “Analysis of Idaho’s MOST Forecast Report: Idaho Teacher Supply and Demand 2000-2010” The Idaho Alliance for Traditional Values. February 8, 2002. http://www.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/Essays%20In%20Persuasion/New/Teacher_Supply_and_Demand.pdf

  • Wenglinsky, Harold. 2000. How Teaching Matters. Princeton, N.J.: Educational Testing Service and The Milken Family Trust.

  • Wynne, David J., and Charles W. Watters. 1991. “Teacher Compensation: How It Compares with the Private Sector” Government Union Review 12, No. 3 (Summer): 31-43.

Back to TOC