Funding for the Assistant City Supervisor

To the editor,

I would like to set the record straight on the Special Assistant City
Supervisor position proposed in the City's FY 2003 budget.

The person who fills this two-year position will be in charge of special
projects, primarily, the 1912 Center and the Hamilton Lowe Indoor
Recreation Center.  It is proposed that the position be filled by our
current Parks and Rec Director, Randy Rice.  Ninety percent of Randy's
salary will be paid out of funds donated for these two projects. Let me be
clear: donated funds -- not tax dollars -- are being used to fund the
Assistant City Supervisor's time on the 1912 and Hamilton Centers.

The precedent of funding Randy's staff time on special projects was set FY
2002, when 70 percent of his salary was covered by donated 1912 Center and
Hamilton Lowe Center funds.

Randy has done a superb job managing construction of Phases 1 and 2 of the
1912 Center.  I encourage the City to put him in charge of special projects
over the next two years, and to fund the position accordingly.

Priscilla Salant
812 East 7th Street
Moscow, Idaho

Back to TOC