Definition of Religion? Christianity's Power! Straw Man? NO! The Vatican!

Doug or Dale et. al.

These discussions can go round and round forever, but let me address several
points.

First off, I think you are exaggerating your claim that everyone has a
Religion.  To make this claim you must define Religion in a way that really
strips the word of any strength or definiteness of meaning.
I do not think everyone has a Religion in the full sense of this word, where
you follow an organized belief system with other people in an ideological
structure that commands you follow certain exact beliefs or you are a
non-believer in said Religion.  You cannot for example, I think, call
yourself a "Christian," in the full sense of following the Christian
Religion, if you deny the divinity of Christ.  If I remain unconvinced
regarding any absolute statements about the origin of humanity, the ultimate
end of life, the existence of the soul or of any God or Gods of any kind,
and merely follow the societal laws dictating I do not kill, steal, rape,
impose physical harm, or defraud anyone, because it seems decent and
compassionate to do so based on my direct feelings as a living human being,
and not on any eternal absolutes of belief, how can you say I am following a
Religion?  Having doubt about all the big questions that Religion answers
does not mean this state of mind itself is a Religion.  For one thing, this
state of mind does not really deny any Religion totally any more than it
assents to belief in said Religion.  People who are in a Religion make very
definite statements about what they believe being the truth, and other
competing ideologies must be absolutely false, or where is the "Religion" in
the Religion, if you see my point?  You can claim that there is room for
doubt in Religious beliefs, and indeed even Christ has his crisis of faith,
according to the New Testament.  But really now, if you water down the
definition of Religion to include any and all mindsets to be a "Religion,"
you do not have any meaning to the word "Religion" any longer.

I do not know anyone who follows postmodernism or secular humanism, whatever
these points of view represent, as a "Religion."  Maybe there are some
people who try to make a Religion out of these ways of viewing the world,
but I do not know of any churches of post-modernism or secular humanism.  Do
you know of any churches following these "Religions" in Moscow?  If there
are, I might go to one of their services just to see what it is like.  Is
there a post-modern or secular humanist cable TV channel promoting the
"Religion" of post-modernism or secular humanism?  I do not know of any.
There are numerous cable and satellite channels that are Christianity
24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Every
Sunday there are Christian Church services on numerous television channels.
I have NEVER seen a non-Christian religious service on TV in my life that I
remember, though I know in some large urban markets there probably are other
religious services televised with the profusion of TV channels.

You could just as well claim that NBA fans are following the "Religion of
Basketball" when all they do is follow the teams and players and watch games
and memorize statistics and live and breathe NBA basketball.  So are you
going to claim we now have a religion called "basketball worship?"  Come on,
no one would take that seriously.  But people do speak in this manner: "His
religion is basketball" they will say about a fanatical fan.

Which brings me to another point, your claim that the government in the USA
is hostile to religion.  I think this is a bit paranoid, if you want my true
opinion.  There has been an increasing trend in government to truly live up
to the separation of church and state, but how is the government hostile to
your religion in a major way?  Here in Moscow Idaho there are Christian
schools established, and numerous churches, and how is the government
blocking you from practicing, promoting and following your religion?  I'm
sure you will come up with examples, because everyone thinks the government
is against them in some way, including me, no matter what they do in life or
believe, but I just do not see this "hostility" that you allude to from the
government against Christianity in any major way.  In fact, I see Christians
flourishing and having a powerful voice in our society.  The Senate recently
voted unanimously to oppose the Federal court decision that the words "under
God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance.  How is this
government hostility toward Religion?

I agree that the pledge of allegiance should not have the words "under God,"
by the way.  It is an imposition of government power promoting one religious
point of view onto children who do not follow that religious viewpoint.  You
say you do not want to establish government rule by Christianity, but what
if the pledge of allegiance said "under Allah" or "under Vishnu" or "under
Buddha?"
I can hear the Christian's scream bloody murder if that
happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm sure you
back the pledge of allegiance including the words "under God," yet you say
you do not want to have Christianity as an official government Religion?
Everyone knows the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance are a nod
from the USA government to the majority rule of Christian's in American!!!!!
  How is this hostile to Christianity?

As to your claim that to ask if someone wants to make Christianity an
official Religion of the government is to make a "straw man" argument if
they mean establishing a Christian Ayatollah, I think rather it is a very
good question, and not a "straw man" argument.  You stated that Religion
should be involved in government.  OK.  What religion should be involved and
to what extent?  There is tremendous disagreement on the issues regarding
the relations between the state and religion that you seem to think you have
absolute answers to.  First off, there are Islamic believers who do not
advocate the kind of Islamic state that is in Iran.  And the history of
Christianity is full of violent impositions of it's rule over people in many
places in the world, very recently right here in America during the near
Genocide committed against the Native Americans.  How can you be unaware of
or forget this?????????????????????????????????????????????  It is a horror
that Christian Europeans imposed on the populations of the Americas that was
justified often by the sick logic of Christian salvation of the
non-believers.  You may not like this way of looking at it, but this is
indeed what happened!

The Christian Religion has a history of running various governments in the
world, and still does right now.  Have you forgotten the Vatican?  Hundreds
of millions of people think the Pope is the true voice of God on earth and
worship his rulings as though he were a head of state or even more powerful.
  Certainly the Catholic Pope is one of the most powerful men on earth.  I
think you are oversimplifying the complexities here.  If you look at the
history of Europe for the past 2000 years, it is only recently that
Christianity did not run several governments, and there are many people who
want to go back to Christian State Rule!

We all pick and chose the facts and theories that back our viewpoint and
tend to ignore the opposing facts and theories that challenge our viewpoint.
  Everyone should be required as part of a good education to be able to
argue convincingly against their most cherished beliefs as an antidote to
dogmatism and arrogance and to teach tolerance of other points of view.
This would do much to stop the horrors of war and hatred which are the shame
of the human race.  If I have a Religion it is nothing more than wanting to
see humans treat each other and all life with tolerance and friendship and
respect all over this beautiful planet we call home.  The history of
"Religions" is scarred with violence and hatred, and indeed we see in the
middle east, in Ireland and England, in India and Pakistan, both Christian
and Islamic people and other Religions being at the root of hatred and
violence.  Not a very inspiring picture for the positive effect of Religion!
  I do not see any of the major Religions with any moral high ground.  They
all have committed terrible "Sins."

Ted