Blood Libel as Analogy

Doug Jones writes:

>And do you also believe that Jews chop up Arab children for the passover
>meal? Same level of interpretive subtlety.

Help me understand what you're getting at with this remark.

The blood libel, the anti-Semitic slur that Jews use the blood of Christian,
and latterly Muslim, children to make Passover matzoh and Purim pastries, has
been around since the early Middle Ages.  Its purpose is to provoke pogroms
(mass slaughter of Jews), the seizure of their property, and the expulsion of
the survivors from a village, a city, or a nation.  Since Jews are forbidden
by the laws of kashrut to consume any blood of any kind whatsoever under any
circumstance, as the Talmud states very clearly, it is a complete and utter
fabrication, and a very evil one.

It has been exploited by Christians for centuries to justify torture, murder,
robbery, kidnapping, and rape.  In the late 19th century, it was given new
life by a Russian forgery, *The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,* which
claimed to be a secret document written by Jewish elders.  Its most current
form is in Arab/Muslim newspapers, where it is used to stir up religious
hatred against Israeli Jews.

Regarding your analogy--how exactly is quoting from a public document
actually written by the person to whom authorship is attributed, and
containing views he has publicly acknowledged with pride, anything like
repeating the blood libel?

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC