From: Mike Rush [mailto:mike.rush@cableaz.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 7:44 PM
To: thansen@moscow.com; Vision 2020
Subject: RE: Some Interesting Quotes

The following is ARTICLE 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, 1796, 1806

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense
founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of
enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the
said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any
Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from
religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
existing between the two countries.

The first sentence, as you referanced, was not a quote by Washington, but
was signed in the last part of his presidency.

Just some food for thought ( and responsible research )...

MR