Sent again Re: action for Clarkston dogs/cats

Sent again as a paste and attachment for those that need one or the other.

Charlie Powell

Answers to frequently asked questions about teaching animal care and use in
Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine

July 2002

Currently there is inaccurate and incomplete information circulating on the
Internet about animal care and use in the WSU College of Veterinary
Medicine's teaching activities and we welcome the opportunity to address
these concerns.

WSU's College of Veterinary Medicine does use both live animals and cadaver
animals purchased from animal shelters for teaching, and to a far lesser
extent, research activities.

· In the last year or so, a small number of animals purchased live from
regional shelters entered the teaching colony and for a period of time were
diverted to research projects.  Research involved the following:

· Six cats from the Spokane County shelter scheduled for euthanasia were
diverted into an approved pharmacokinetic study and were all voluntarily
adopted out by the researcher.

· Twelve dogs were used in clinical anesthesia trials for the development of
a safe and effective reversal agent for inhalation anesthesia.  Despite a
tremendous need, there is currently no such reversal agent in human or animal
medicine nor is there any in vitro model available to accomplish this
objective. All dogs have been recovered and the clinical trial protocol is
completely approved.

· Spokane County no longer provides live animals to WSU for teaching
purposes.  They do however continue to provide cadaver animals and take
advantage of WSU's long-standing free spay and neuter service for shelter
animals.

· In recent years we have instituted a free spay and neuter service to
shelter animals, thus making them more valuable for adoption and contributing
to a solution to pet overpopulation.  To date in 2002 alone, the WSU
Veterinary Teaching Hospital has spayed or neutered and returned to the
region's shelters more than 700 animals that otherwise would likely have been
destroyed.  Cost to the college has been in excess of $70,000. All
"spay/neuter return" surgeries are performed by veterinary students under the
supervision of clinical faculty as an additional means to help the students
hone their surgical skills. Also, we even provide this free service to
shelters that choose not to provide live animals or cadavers to our program.

· Cadaver animals are purchased on the days when the local shelters are
normally destroying animals in accordance with their established policies and
procedures, not on demand from WSU.  This college does not engage in pound
seizure.  The WSU College of Veterinary Medicine has no authority to acquire
animals other than by purchase or donation.

· The WSU veterinary college employs comprehensive efforts to ensure that
"owned" animals are not mistakenly purchased.  We scan for microchip
identifiers, search for tattoos, and investigate any evidence of ownership
found.  This comes after equally concerted efforts by the shelters themselves
to locate owners of animals they take in.  WSU has returned a number of
animals to their owners long after they would have been killed under normal
shelter protocols.  In addition, a small number of animals coming to WSU end
up being adopted by veterinary students.

· Since 1988, WSU College of Veterinary Medicine faculty has developed some
of the most highly respected and proven alternatives to the use of live
animals in any professional veterinary curriculum.  For many years WSU led
the nation in implementing these alternatives in its teaching activities.
Our faculty has received international recognition for this humane effort.
Our program has been featured as one of the best in the nation in cover
articles published by the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights
known as AVAR (Alternatives in Veterinary Medical Education, Issue 16,
January 2001).  Also, please see http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/academic/vent.html
for a computer simulation of an anesthesia ventilator developed as an
alternative to live animal use with funding from AVAR.

· Thankfully, most of the nation's other veterinary colleges have now joined
this humane effort, some by following our lead after consulting with us.
Because of the success of this program and the educational advantages it
provides, we no longer offer a separate alternative surgery track, per se.
Alternatives in individual courses are still available to any WSU veterinary
student at the same level as when the defined tracking system was in place.
We have discontinued the alternative surgery summer course for students
outside our program because of a lack of demand and limited faculty and staff
resource time.  Other components of the original alternative surgery track
are now part of the regular curriculum taken by every student.  As such, they
are no longer regarded as "alternatives," but are part of an ever-advancing
curriculum.

· WSU combines extensive use of psychomotor skills exercises, models and
computer simulations, and advanced multimedia resources, into a single,
modern, effective veterinary education.  With this fully approved curriculum
any student who chooses to do so can graduate with an unrestricted Doctor of
Veterinary Medicine degree after learning surgical skills using only
client-owned animals in need, or cadavers.

· No WSU veterinary student is required to euthanize any animal for any
required course in the curriculum.  We do still offer single procedure,
non-recovery terminal surgical exercises as electives only, meaning they are
all voluntary and have been for several years.  In the academic year 2001-02,
48 dogs were euthanized at the end of these elective courses.

· No student is required to conduct biomedical research or product testing,
live animal or otherwise, in order to graduate. Again, we pride ourselves in
providing students with choices.

· The WSU veterinary college students do perform pre-approved, so-called
"multiple procedures" on purchased shelter animals in strict accordance with
all laws, regulations, and policies of the federal government, Washington
state, and the university.  All multiple procedures employed in required
courses involve approved non-invasive or minimally invasive techniques with a
known outcome, not research or product testing.  Such procedures include:
· For anesthesia induction, monitoring, and recovery: placement of IV
catheters and intubation;
· For small animal reproduction: palpation, ultrasound examination, semen
collection, and a vaginal swab; and
· For a physiology exercise: animals are sedated and monitored and less than
6 milliliters of blood amounting is also drawn.

· Are animals used in teaching at WSU's veterinary college given
"mind-altering drugs?"  If one considers anesthetic drugs used routinely in
veterinary medicine, the answer is yes. This is because we train veterinary
students in the proper and safe use of these commonly used drugs just as
human medical students are trained how to use anesthetics with people.

All anesthetic drugs are by definition "mind-altering drugs" because when
used properly in the clinical setting they induce unconsciousness.  The same
can probably be said for pain medications that also promote sleep in animals
and humans.

The issue here is not the drugs themselves, but the use of a term that
relates back to hallucinogenic drug abuse originating in the 1960s.
"Mind-altering drugs," is a reactionary term referred by most lay people to
drugs like PCP, LSD, mescaline derivatives, and others.  To brand the
clinical use of common anesthetic drugs with this term is an attempt to
manipulate people who have sincere concerns for animals and at the same time
do not understand medical terminology.

The WSU College of Veterinary Medicine does not provide medications to
animals unnecessarily and we do not conduct product testing with chemicals or
cosmetics.  As with all medical colleges, human and animal, WSU does
participate in the clinical trials of new drugs as part of the legal approval
process.

The college does anesthetize healthy animals and recover them safely for
anesthesia training.  In addition, sedation is used where necessary to avoid
pain and promote humane handling of animals in approved and reviewed teaching
exercises that may be associated with discomfort.

· The WSU veterinary college also provides "alternative cadavers" for the
surgery classes of students who have ethical objections to using animals
killed because they were unwanted or abandoned.  With "alternative cadavers",
the animal has been euthanized or has died as a result of illness, injury, or
severe behavioral problems rendering them unadoptable.  People relinquishing
these animals to the Spokane shelter must indicate in writing on the release
form whether or not they will allow their animal's body to be used by WSU for
educational purposes in the event euthanasia is carried out.

· Acknowledging that even current "alternative cadavers" are unacceptable to
an extremely small minority of veterinary students (< 1 percent), the WSU
veterinary college is currently investigating a proposed "willed cadaver"
program that will meet these students' ethical concerns.  Such cadavers would
be willed to the college by their owners and would not have been destroyed
for overpopulation or behavioral problems.

· Students are required to use cadavers (including alternative cadavers) in
anatomic studies.  The source of these cadavers is local animal control
agencies.  The majority of live shelter animals purchased by WSU are
euthanized on arrival to facilitate embalming for anatomic study, which is a
critical part of the veterinary education process just as human cadavers are
to medical education.  In addition to embalmed cadaver dissections, our
world-renowned anatomy program utilizes the finest in preservation
techniques, including freeze drying, to produce specimens that endure and are
so useful that, in fact, fewer animals must be killed to study and learn
veterinary anatomy.  There is no complete, whole body anatomic model that has
been developed for either humans or animals in any professional medical
education program.

· The 103 year-old WSU College of Veterinary Medicine currently maintains the
highest level of accreditation that can be attained by a veterinary teaching
institution in North America, in recognition for the quality of our
educational, research, and service programs. It is fully accredited by the
American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA-COE) as
well as the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
(AAVLD) and the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory
Animal Care (AAALAC).

· The WSU College of Veterinary Medicine takes its obligations to animals,
society, and our students very seriously.  Explicit in our mission are the
goals of promoting animal health and alleviating animal suffering.  To this
end we have investigated, installed, and promoted alternatives to the use of
live animals. As a result, we have dramatically reduced both the number of
animals and the number of potentially painful procedures used in our
curriculum.  We continue to explore humane, efficacious, and cost-effective
alternatives and welcome any reasoned attempt to provide us with information
to further this objective.

Sincerely,

Warwick M. Bayly, B.V.Sc., M.S., Ph.D.
Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-7010
wmb@vetmed.wsu.edu

2002 ANIMAL CARE AND USE FINAL SHORT.doc

Back to TOC