Woman's Rights Rally, 1pm, Saturday, 7/27, Friendship Square, Moscow, Idaho

Organizational meeting: Tuesday, 7/23 7pm at Mikey's  Come help plan this rally

Press Release:

Woman's Rights Rally

1pm, Saturday, 7/27/02

Friendship Square, Moscow, Idaho

contact: Garrett Clevenger, 883-7965

Muscovites for Equal Rights is sponsoring a rally to support woman's rights in response to Moscow's new topless ordinance.  The rally will begin at 1pm on Saturday, July 27 at Friendship Square.

Citizens, speakers and musicians are invited to show support for woman's rights and opposition to the topless ordinance.

MER is concerned that the new ordinance does not directly address the topless carwash, the issue that caused the city council to draft the law.  Instead, the law restricts any woman from going topless in public.  While MER understands the cultural stigma regarding the display of female breasts in public, MER hopes to educate the public as to how this law unfairly restricts the rights of women and how this sexist stigma can be overcome

The ordinance, as written, makes it illegal for women to wear certain bikinis and attire in public.

MER believes the ordinance is sexist and unconstitutional and suppresses the rights of women in order to prevent another person from feeling a certain way.

MER is committed to upholding the 14th amendment's guarantee of equal protection under the law for all citizens.

For more information, contact Garrett Clevenger at (208)883-7965 or onewildearth@hotmail.com

A little article:
Muscovites certainly are lucky living in our sheltered community where topless women are seen as a big enough threat to our children’s safety to warrant an ordinance banning their presence.  Forget the real threats that most people face: food and water contaminated with pesticides and other toxins; reckless car drivers; pedophilic priests and civilians; greedy CEO’s; domestic violence; junk food; air pollution; war; famine; tobacco, alcohol and other drug abuse; malnourishment and disease.  No, boobies, the organs that nourished these same children, cannot be exposed in public without a baby attached.  Not because they can poke your eye out or slap you upside the head, but because they are…visible.  A serious danger to even the least active imagination!

Children should not see breasts, so I’ve heard, because they’ll start treating women as sex objects.  This is an understandable reaction considering the conditioning society has upon our opinions.  I’ve held this same view as well.   Unfortunately, that’s exactly what this sexist, unconstitutional law does.  It maintains women as sex objects!  By passing this law, supporters say that breasts are sex objects and therefore should not be publicly displayed.  Certainly breasts can play a role in sex, as can ears, neck, skin, hair, toes, fingers, tongue, lips, sweat and the most crucial of all, genitalia.  Perhaps women should be covered completely becau! se any of the above can turn a man on.

The reasoning behind this law is what creates extremes like our nemesis, the Taliban, especially considering the religious rhetoric that pushed the law.  They did not want women exposed at all in public because they viewed women as objects to be controlled.  Granted, Moscow’s City Council is not the Taliban.  However, the root is the same.  Suppress the freedom of women to prevent the corruption of men.

Women shall not have the freedom to remove their shirt in public to keep cool or sunbath, as men can, because men can’t control their imagination when viewing the naked breast.  Women, like the biblical Eve, are blamed for the downfall of humanity.

This is ridiculous.  How can that be more obvious and unjust?!

With that argument, we should ban the combustion engine for all the pollution and corruption it’s caused.  We should ban priests for all the pedophilia they’ve waged.  We should ban religion for all the killing, torture and suffering carried out in its name.  We should ban the Internet for all the porno and disinformation it enables access to.  Are breast’s more destructive then any of the above?

With this logic, anybody who makes me feel a way I don’t want to feel, like corrupt politicians who make me angry, should be banned.

That is ridiculous as well.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

The forbidden fruit usually is tempting when it is mysterious and out of reach.  It seems that the best way to prevent breasts from being sex objects is to make them common.  Europe has done just that and they are still functioning as a society.

The real reason, in my opinion, that women continue to be suppressed is to keep women from gaining equal power as men.  Breasts are a women’s nourisher of Life.  That is a power men lack.  When women expose their breasts in public, they are displaying a power men will never enjoy.  If women are empowered by this, men will have to move over, something many men refuse to do.  So they make women feel guilty and shameful for displaying their womanhood.  They make it illegal for woman to go topless.  They’ve kept women in their place.  This should be outrageous to freedom loving people!

This makes me wonder:  What percentage of the reported “10:1” ratio in support of the law were men?  What percentage represented the same church?

People, female breasts should be something we cherish.  Any reminder of that should be welcomed.

Since most women, as most men, choose not to be topless, this new law only affects a few women directly.  However, it affects us all psychologically.  By accepting this law, we accept the notion that a woman’s breasts are inherently evil, causing wholesome men to lose their minds while ignoring the fact that even a bare leg or neck can cause the same reaction.

It’s easy to let others dictate morality for a community.  In the wrong hands, though, you end up with repressive regimes like the Taliban.  While our new topless law won’t make women wear a burque in public, it does restrict a woman’s freedom.

I have no doubt that this law will be challenged in court and our city will waste more time and money trying to protect children from the evil boobs.  In the end, it will test our constitution’s ability to provide equal rights, protection and opportunity for all.

This is not a trivial issue.

Garrett Clevenger
Moscow, Idaho