Re: Public Nudity - Our Community

John Guyer wrote:

> When several people testified that we, as a council, have more
> important things to deal with, I completely agreed. However, I also
> recognize that we have an obligation to spend the time to handle the
> issues that divide the community.  This one is dividing us.

I'm not sure what you were expecting this law to do when the law itself
divides the community into two groups of people.  One of who because of
what they are, are guilty of a crime, while the other is not.  The council
and this law has done the cutting.

> Putting the community through the referendum process is not going to
> bring us together.  Rehashing this will continue to divide us.  Did you
> not believe your own testimony?  While I am not directly discouraging
> you from pursuing your rights, I would ask you to please consider, as
> did we as a council, what impact your actions will have.  Will the
> campaign on both sides of the issue bring us together?  Will the
> community ever be the same after the heated campaign?

The damage has already been done by the law.  Any resistance to it is not
at fault for any division done.  You, as a leader, divide us, then ask us
to stand together behind your decision to divide us?  This is hypocracy.

> In summary, I would ask you to please consider a helpful phrase that I
> use regularly in my own life:  Just because you can, doesn't mean you
> should.

But did you consider it?  (Hypocracy again.)

Daniel

Back to TOC