Re: Public Nudity - Our Community

John Guyer wrote:

> While I believe an ordinance is the
> right thing for our community I find that the current threads on V2020
> are not helping.  When several people testified that we, as a council,
> have more important things to deal with, I completely agreed. However, I
> also recognize that we have an obligation to spend the time to handle
> the issues that divide the community.  This one is dividing us.

John-

The interesting thing about this division in our community is that there is
probably more common ground than meets the eye.  Of the many people that I
personally know who oppose this ordinance, none are interested in walking
around Moscow topless.  I have no more interest in being seen in public
without a top on than (I'm guessing) your wife does or your fellow Council
members.  I'd bet that most of the people in favor of the ordinance don't
think that women in swimwear at the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatic Center should be
arrested, or that prom dresses should be censored before they hit Creightons
or the Bon, or that toddlers need to be reprimanded for their tendency
toward freedom on a hot summer day.

So, if the majority of people agree on these things, it seems like the
divisiveness began when the Council chose to write an ordinance that was not
dealing with the "issue."  Had the Council looked at setting guidelines for
Sexually Oriented Businesses, the Council may have had most everyone on one
side of the fence.  Or maybe there wouldn't have been a fence at all.  I,
for one, believe that it is still possible for the Council to bring everyone
together on this.  However, just because you can, doesn't mean you will.  I
remain hopeful.

Pam Palmer
Moscow, ID

Back to TOC