Brett Bennett / Greg Brown

People, let's not get out of control, here.

First of all, I do not believe that I have ever personally met either Brett Bennett or Greg Brown.

Assuming that Brett Bennett sent the message ascribed to him by Greg Brown's posting, Brett would appear to be out of line.  (We should all remember, however, the distinct, if unlikely, possibility of "electronic tampering mischief" that may occur in this day and age).

Calling this a "threat" is very strong language, plausible, I suppose, especially given the sensitivities of Mr. Brown, but perhaps a bit much.  How would a reasonable person interpret the "like to meet you in a dark alley" comment?  Just how serious was it?  Maybe Brett wanted to surprise Greg with a water balloon or a pie-in-the-face.  Given the private nature of the comment and the graphic description of Mr. Brown that accompanied the "alley" comment, perhaps the two of them have some prior history.  I don't know.  Understand, I am not trying to absolve Mr. Bennett from blame here, as it seems he made an injudicious, intemperate, and yes, probably mean-spirited remark to Mr. Brown.

I will let others debate that.

But it has really gone too far when people on this listserve personally attack innocent third parties after getting carried away by the incendiary turn of the postings, (that was begun by publishing Brett's private email, note, threat, or whatever to Greg).

Others on this listserve have reacted to publication of Mr. Brett Bennett's unwise initial decision to contact Mr. Brown, by personally attacking Brett Bennett's father, Frank, and Brett's sister, Shelley.  Such attacks on innocent people are absolutely uncalled-for and have no place here or in any civilized discussion!

I do not know the elder Mr. Bennett.  I am vaguely acquainted with Shelley Bennett, having been seated across from her once at a fundraising dinner some years ago.

From what little I know of the Bennett family, they are large landholders who have significant interests in extractive timber practices and real estate development.  They are also generous donors to numerous worthwhile community art projects and other cultural interests and events.

I suppose it's possible that I might disagree with Frank and Brett Bennett about the nature and extent of extractive timber practices, especially on state and federal land.  I oppose tax increment financing generally, though not in all instances, so I could (depending on the scope and location of the project) find myself at odds with Shelley Bennett some day, were she to seek to develop a real estate project with tax increment financing.  I also might find that if I knew the three of them better I would agree with them on many things, or disagree on more, who knows?   But if I got to know them better, I would certainly know Frank and Shelley Bennett based on what they said, acted or believed, and not based on what Brett did!!

This list needs to get a grip on what constitutes polite, civil discussion of issues relating to Moscow, and keep our eye on the prize.  A better community.

Bruce Livingston

GIF image

Back to TOC