Re: The Curtailment of "Mudboging"...

Sean

I'd like to point out a different path if I may.  One of my hobbies is Civil
War Reenacting.  We go to large fields and simulate some of the great
battles of the Civil War to honor those who died for our country.  It is
also a living history weekend where we live as they did at that time.
Believe it or not, its great fun.

Now to the salient portion of the discussion.  When we use a field for this,
(and lets face it, you use a pretty big area when you have 1,000 plus people
camping out) there are many different jurisdictions and many different rules
we have to deal with.   In some areas, we aren't allowed to dig holes or are
required to use stoves instead of open fires.  Horses (yes horses,  there is
a significant Cavalry contingent) must be quartered a certain distance from
open water.    Often, there is requirements for fire and medical equipment
that must be on site.  There are requirements for liability insurance and
once the event is over, we always have to put the land back as it was if not
better than when we came.  Usually this includes filling in holes, stream
bank reconstruction, gathering all our litter plus all the litter that
belongs to any spectators.  When every one pitches in, this doesn't take too
long.

There is always an event fee that must be paid to the Forest Service or
other jurisdictions and they do supervise and make on the spot suggestions
to change the event and how we play.  Sometimes we are required to have and
pay for police and/or law enforcement support.

We moan and complain at the cost and the interference but we do it.  It
keeps the land in useable condition for others and allows the differing
jurisdictions to balance one activity against another.  My suggestion to you
is why not use this as a model.

Go to a land owner or one of these governmental land holders and tell him
what you want to do and what you will do to put the land back in shape once
you are done playing.  To get the government to go a long, you will have to
show some benefit to the common good, in our case the weekend long history
lesson more than fits the bill.  Perhaps you could run clinics on how to
safely use your equipment and how to be gentle to the land.

Somebody will have to stand up and say "I am liable for the damage to the
land and the actions of  others that play badly".  This is something we have
to do.  We have clubs that buy insurance and have as members, experts to
help out in these areas, changing the hobby somewhat so that we can coexist.

If you can't pony up to all these things then you will probably continue to
be marginalized and ignored.  You have to take responsibility for your
actions and unfortunately for the actions of knuckleheads that are at the
bottom end of your hobby.  So I would suggest you start by forming a club
and do a small event.  If it works, you can build from there.  Its a long
road but  with the number of people on the planet and the differing
priorities, it is the best option in my humble opinion.

Mark Rounds

At 12:48 PM 6/24/02 -0700, sean wrote:
>>Perhaps the "mudboggers" could do what the Dougs have done--
>>create their own environment where their version of reality can exist
>>separately from other folks. The mudboggers could buy a chunk of
>>land, use it for their trucks, and leave the rest of the planet in
>>peace...They, too, should have their version fo fun without causing
>>others' to lose their right to quiet and an unspoiled place to enjoy
>>the day.
>>Debi R-S
>>debismith@moscow.com
>
>In principle this makes sense--and in fact I was suggesting the same.
>We should have designated well planned OHV use areas that meet the
>needs of the specific users groups within the limitations of the
>site.  We do this for most every sport, even closing down city
>streets to play basketball.  And we celebrate these offerings.
>However, we long ago recognized that most groups can not just buy
>land and build what they need.  So we don't ask them to.  Instead,
>take from all people to allow for a broad array of rec opportunities.
>That is why we have a skatepark that most people will never use or
>even set foot on.  That is why we have national parks and state
>forests.  We do it to provide for the needs of the people.
>
>OHV enthusiasts' needs are not being met and as a group they continue
>to be spurned, marginalized and singled out for unfair treatment.
>They are not tolerated.  More importantly, however, they are not
>being worked with to find good solutions.  There are such solutions,
>but they can only be pursued when first attempts are made to
>recognize their legitimacy and seek solutions.
>
>--
>Thanks,

>         Sean Michael
>         .dwg