From: debismith@moscow.com [mailto:debismith@moscow.com]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 10:05 PM
To: 'Vision 20/20'; Doug Jones
Subject: Re: FW: That's yodeling, boys, not squealing!

In reviewing my archived Doug postings, I was reminded of a man I
met a few years ago who used the same sort of "logical argument".
He was convinced that inimical forces were putting thoughts into
the heads of children (and adults). He had a mandate from God to
act as a bulwark against this sort of thought control (in his case,
he identified the evil-doers as aliens from another planet). When
challenged on the validity of his beliefs, he ranted, quoted the
Bible, and accused the challenger of being under the aliens'
control. The ever-present voice he heard advised him and directed
him--he identified the voice as God.  He was being evaluated for a
mental health detention.
While I do not mean to imply the Dougs are
schizophrenic, as this man obviously was,  I do find the circular and
self-referencing "logical thought" similar in kind if not degree.
 Debi Robinson-Smith

Back to TOC