Re: SUMMER SWIMMING CONFUSION

Dear Amber,

Thank you for clearing up the confusion and for making adjustments.
What I like about having a dedicated lap swim time is that the more lanes
that are available, the more likely that there will be room for everyone
who wants to swim. I appreciate the 5 p.m. lap time and think that will
accomodate many adults who look forward to cooling off and getting their
exercise at the end of the work day, when many children have gone home.
I did hear many people in the fall voice appreciation for the aquatics
facility as it was managed last summer. But, of course, it's always the
squeaky wheel that is heard the loudest. In the future I hope public input
will be sought so that all voices can be heard before policies are changed.

Lois Melina

----------
> [...]
for
> lap swimming has been changed for the 2002 summer season. What many of
you
> probably don't know is that these changes were brought about by massive
> number of complaints and suggestions compiled over the last two pool
> seasons. The major complaints about the prior existing schedule were:
>
> 1.  Lap swimmers felt it was unfair that they were being forced to
"circle
> swim" with other lap swimmers not swimming their speed. They were upset
that
> the two lanes dedicated to lap swimming were not enough to allow for
> designated speed lanes where slow, medium and fast swimmers would not be
> forced to swim together.
>
> 2.  Many adult lap swimmers were furious that we did not offer the noon
time
> lap swim that Ghormley offered all those years. They complained that the
> facility was not adult friendly and wanted a dedicated lap swim that
> mirrored what they were used to having at Ghormley.
>
> 3.  Adults and children complained that there was no time dedicated to
deep
> water swimming where they could dive off the sides and practice dives and
> such that must be done in deeper water.  In order to allow deep water
> swimming the diving board had to be closed and this also upset a large
> number of patrons.
>
> Taking all the complaints into consideration, and the numbers of swimmers
we
> had observed using the lap swim lanes during the public swim hours, we
made
> the following changes:
>
> 1 to 2 lanes open during all swim lessons (9:30am - 11:30am and 7:00pm -
> 8:00pm)
> Dedicated lap swim from 12:00pm - 1:00pm, Monday through Friday
> Adult Swim lap lanes Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am - 11:00am
>
> This solution pleased the many lap swimmers who were upset before but as
you
> may have observed, upset many others in the process. We obviously had no
way
> to predict this and felt we had come up with a viable compromise.  The
> largest complaint we have received with the newest changes is that the
noon
> time swim is during lunch time and mother's don't swim during that time
and
> therefore can't lap swim while their children swim elsewhere in the
> facility.  Another large complaint has been that 7:00pm is too late for
> those swimmers who work all day and can't get to the pool for the noon
swim.

> There was a miscommunication among the supervisors at the pool and
> unfortunately incorrect information was given out concerning the City
> Council.  A petition was not given to the City Council and the City
Council
> did not say they felt the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatics Center was for
recreation
> only.  We did receive numerous complaints and threats to take petitions
> the City Council and I assume that is where the confusion came in.  I
> apologize for the misunderstanding and hope that the above information
> clears things up a little.
>
> We began addressing the new issues immediately as the suggestions were
> brought to our attention and started considering options for changes that
> would please the majority. We have since amended the schedule to add two
> additional lap swim lanes daily from 5:00pm to closing (effective today,
> June 17th 2002).  This current schedule allows for deep water swim,
> dedicated speed lanes during lap swim, Fun Run and Black Hole slide play,
> and two lap lanes in the evening time. This new schedule only leaves 3
1/2
> hours of our 9 1/2 hour daily operation without any lap lanes.  We hope
this
> pleases the swimmers who have brought forth suggestions.  We do encourage
> feedback and welcome constructive criticism.  Thanks for your input!
>
> Amber Britton
> Youth Recreation and Aquatics Coordinator
> City of Moscow, Parks and Recreation.

Back to TOC