Re: Truth Claims

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Doug Jones wrote:

> Are you really wanting to claim, then, that public schools make
> absolutely no truth claims? They only mediate them? That's the only
> way your claim works -- public schools as uncommitted file drawers.
> Given what you've said, as soon as the public schools make a truth
> claim they are espousing a worldview.

No one is saying that.  To say "absolutely" sort of implys perfection and
of course no one in the school system is perfect.  But I do think there is
an effort by most to refrain from making sweeping truth claims that aren't
shared by all.  Now, to say "Murder is Wrong" is a truth claim, but sense
everyone (almost) agrees with it, no one really has a problem with it
being said in schools.  But other areas that are more sensitive to
controversy, like abortion, gay rights, religious "truths," etc., one must
refrain from truth statements, but educating one who believes what is not
a problem.

> So in public school math and science classes, for example, you're
> saying that no truth claims are made; none in history; none in
> geography; none in biology.

Well, I understood "truth claims" to be in reference to philosophical or
theological "truths."  I think in subjects like math and science, where
things are directly or indirectly observable, it really has nothing to do
with a "truth claim."  I mean in some areas that are pretty well
established facts.  2 + 2 = 4, Humans have a brain, Napolean was Emperor
of France, and Spain borders Portugal.  Not much to argue about.  But
there are theories in each subject that aren't totally proven yet and I
guess that is what you are refering to "truth claims" in those subjects.
But maybe what we observe as reality is just an illusion....well anyways
yeah there are truth claims that are made that we don't realize.  But I
don't really think that is the issue.  The issue is making school
exclusive to only a certain set of "truths."

Daniel

Back to TOC