Re: "Coming out..."

Daniel:

Hello?  Did you actually read what I wrote?  There weren't a lot of big
words, so it should have been obvious that I was replying to a prior
message dealing exclusively with whether or not teachers should "come
out" in school.

Where on earth do you get off lecturing me on how compassionate I should
be to my students, and what my stand on "pluralism and diversity" should
be?  I am a Social Studies teacher, not a psychoanalyst or a group
sensitivity trainer.  If you want to get your oar in the water, get a
teaching credential and join the fun.  Until then, don't presume to tell
me how and what to teach in my classroom.

Don Kaag

You are off the subject, out of line, and clueless about my
teacher/student relationship with my kids.
On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 01:58 PM, Daniel Kronemann wrote:

> What are you afraid of Don?  That a student might be in pain and might
> want to express that to you?  Since when are there qualifications for
> being compassionate and concerned for your students, in EVERY way.  The
> purpose of diversity and pluralism is so people DON'T have to keep
> everything to themselves.  People shouldn't lock themselves up just so
> you
> don't have to look at it.  To quote a famous protest chant "Hell NO!  We
> WON'T GO!"
>
> Daniel Kronemann
>

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Don Kaag wrote:
>
>> "Just a theoretical question:
>>
>> For those list members who feel a classroom is an inappropriate place
>>
>> "come out," do you also think that Vision 2020 is an inappropriate
>> place to come out?
>>
>> Bob Hoffmann"
>>
>> Bob:
>>
>> You betcha.  Why do I need to know this?  It seems like a personal
>> choice to me, and none of my business.  And it is none of the kids'
>> business, either.  It is absolutely not appropriate in schools.  It
>> gets in the way.
>>
>> I teach History and Government.  I am not qualified, nor do I desire,
>> to teach sexual orientation classes as well.  We already have more
>> than sufficient course distractors foisted upon us by the federal,
>> state and local bureaucracies.  I don't care whether my teaching
>> colleagues are hetro, homo, bi, or keep small ponies in their
>> backyards, so long as it doesn't interfere with them giving the kids
>> in this town a good education, and they keep it to themselves.
>>
>> Don Kaag

Back to TOC