Integrating the Elks Club

In 1970, a man told his son that he had went to join the Elks Club, and
when he saw that the application said "Caucasians Only," he decided to
decline the honor, even though he was racially qualified.

Six months later, the son went to Boys State and entered a speech contest
on Abraham Lincoln--a contest sponsored by the Elks Club.

He gave a rousing speech on the audacity of the Elks Club sponsoring a
contest about Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed the slaves, when they were
in effect a racist organization.  To his surprise, he won the contest.  The
next day he was on the national news.  Calls arose for Congressional
investigations into the racial barriers of this type of club.  Within 6
months, the Elks were forced to integrate.

All because a white boy stood up to some stupid white men.  Thirty-two
years later, his book Stupid White Men is the number-one best seller.

I first heard of this book from a fellow white man, who highly recommended
that I read it.  Of all the people who have criticized the name of this
tome, I will refer you to the elementary school aphorism:  You can't judge
a book by its cover--or in this case, its title.

I don't have a copy in my hand, but to hear more about this book and the
man who wrote it, I also recommend that you go to
http://www.webactive.com/pacifica/demnow/dn20020523.html to hear the audio
stream.

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.