re: pluralism and coercion

Private schools, by their very nature, are exclusive.  Public schools are
not.  We pay for public schools so that every one may have the opportunity
to attend a school.  If we choose another option, we have not abdicated our
responsibility as citizens to continue to provide that opportunity for
others.  Likewise, I may choose not to immunize my child, but the compelling
state interest to limit epidemic disease continues and exacts its four
cents from my tax dollars.

Modernity is a philosophical position, not a religion.  I cry, not fowl, but
foul.  At best, a truly public school must mediate among many mutually
exclusive philosophical and religious positions, seeking a balance that
acknowledges competing visions of the world.  This active and dialogic
process is pluralism.

> The jail option
>has not been ruled out. But notice how it shows the real colors of
>secular "pluralism." I wrote that local pluralism is a façade for
>coercion, and you replied by suggesting that I go to jail. I couldn't
>have made up a better reply myself. Let's step up to the microphone and
>say it loudly and clearly for the whole community to hear. Pluralism =
>intolerance.

On the contrary, I was suggesting that to suffer for conscience's sake in
peaceful civil disobedience is a powerful witness which the Society of
Friends has used to bring about social change.  I have no idea whether you
are called to that witness in this matter, and I wouldn't presume to
recommend any course of action--secular or ecclesiatical--to you personally.

All government is, of course, coercion, as any political philosopher will
aver.  I want a federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act; you want to be
relieved of taxes which support public schools.  We both avail ourselves of
the means at hand to effect those ends.  Whatever results is bound to seem
unfair to someone.  Since we can't all be satisfied, we must look for the
fairest solution possible and be prepared to amend it as further light
breaks forth.

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC