Re: Yet another levy question--first reply

Thanks for your response Mike, but I am still a little confused.

1)  Currently, West Park and Russell are both K-6 schools.  Does the
reconfiguration to West Park as K-3 and Russell as 4-6 result in the savings
you mentioned in your first reply?  (I.E.: Does the reconfiguration result
in the loss of 4.5 classroom teachers at West Park and Russell?)
Understand, I am having some problems seeing any budgetary savings here.

2)  Reconfiguration will have some added costs.  Ongoing costs like busing
and one time costs such as moving materials and supplies.  If the district
is willing to pay for these costs, where does the funds come from and why?

3 and 4)  The current modified block plan at the high school has one full
time teacher teaching 5 classes out of 6 periods.  It is the main reason for
your statement regarding the high school having probably less room for
consolidation.  A standard plan (JH model used by ninth graders) would have
teachers teaching 6 out of 7 periods.  Theoretically, a HS teacher could
have smaller class sizes and teach more total students with the JH model.
The modified block plan, because of the start and end times of classes,
makes it almost impossible for students wishing to enroll in some UI courses
to do both HS and UI as is provided in state law.  From a budget
prospective, did the district look at changing the block plan and if so, why
did the district decide to keep the block plan?

Part of what I am trying to understand is the reasoning of the admin council
when it made its recommendations.

John Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com