Petition to postpone tax cuts

Visionaries:

Many Latah County residents are concerned about the potential harm to public
schools, higher education, medical assistance to low-income families and
other state programs as a result of Idaho's huge budget shortfall.   Here's
your chance to tell the state's leaders that these cuts are unacceptable.

Several groups, including the Idaho Federation of Teachers, Friends of
Neighborhood Schools and the Associated Students of the University of Idaho,
are collecting signatures on a petition, which asks the Legislature to
postpone the tax cuts approved a year ago.   This action would not repeal
the cuts - only delay them until the state economy improves.

Rep. Tom Trail of Moscow has offered to personally deliver these petitions
to Gov. Dirk Kempthorne and leaders of the House of Representatives and the
Senate.  So far, several hundred signatures have been collected, but more
are needed.

If you'd like to sign the petition, please stop by BookPeople on Main Street
in Moscow no later than Saturday, Feb. 2.  If you'd like a copy of the
petition to circulate among your neighbors or co-workers, please contact me.
  We're especially interested in finding people in other parts of the state
to circulate the petition.

Let's keep our schools and the University of Idaho strong by protecting them
from devastating cuts in state support.
--Kenton Bird