Re: Ineresting Editorial

I don't find the rules under the Geneva Convention as appalling. On the
contrary,  the rules are based on many of our own values.  Unfortunately,
those rules were too late to  help Tom's grandfather and were largely
ignored in places like North Vietnam. Regardless of how other nations
behave, I expect the United States to adhere to a higher standard. I
understand that the" evil doers" in Guantanamo Bay are not prisoners of war
but unlawful combatants. The difference being, POW's are provided certain
legal rights that would govern our military's interrogations. It would also
be possible that they could be released when the war is over. Regardless of
their status, most Americans believe suspected terrorists  should be
treated with extreme caution but in a manner that reflects well on our
values of due process and humane treatment. I don't know what to make of
the international concerns that are being expressed about their treatment.
Maybe that disturbing picture of the detainees was worth a thousand words
or simply gave the wrong impression.

It seems that any suggestion that we need to treat prisoners the same way
others would treat us, makes the whole reason NY firefighters lost their
lives and why we are in Afghanistan meaningless.

John
----------
> From: thansen@moscow.com
> To: vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: Re: Ineresting Editorial
> Date: Monday, January 28, 2002 11:51 AM
>
> Greetings Visionaires -
>
> I find it absolutely appalling that somebody actually feels we should
treat
> prisoners of war with kit gloves.  My father was a POW in Germany during
WW2.
> His daily ration consisted of two slices of black bread and a pint of
water.

> I will not even begin to discuss treatment of American POWs imprisoned in

> the "Hanoi Hilton" during Vietnam.
>
> If somebody actually feels that these prisoners are being treated
inhumanely,
> please contact your congressman and volunteer your abode for the
"safekeeping"
> of these "unfortunates".
>
> Take care,
>
> Tom Hansen
>
> > Archie,
> >
> >      What would you suggest as an alternative to the way in which the
> > suspects are being detained at this time?  I don't believe that
allowing
> > them to bond out on their own recognizance would prove to be a wise
> > move.  What about keeping them at the Walt Disney Hotel in Florida?
That
> > could be considered torture by some.  I feel sure that any conditions
they
> > are subjected to would beat the heck out of the way you were treated if
> > you were ever imprisoned under their control.
> >
> > Clint Payton
> > email: tex@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
> >

> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Archie wrote:
> >
> > > They may be criminals, maybe not. That's the whole issue.  Just be
cause
> they were taken
> into
> > > custody doesn't mean much.  It could be you, and will be if you don't
doubt
> it.

'I'd
Trade