Re: Schools and sprawl

Thank you, Ron, for this timely reference.  These issues need to be
considered as the Moscow School District decides whether to move forward
with its plan to close the downtown high school and ask voters to buy a big
box out among the wheat fields.

One difference from many of the cases cited in the National Trust study is
that (at least as I understand it) Idaho does not have minimum acreage
requirements for school construction.  Since this state won't provide one
penny for school construction, it has no leverage with which to impose
acreage requirements.

Since financing is entirely up to the local community, we are free to make
our own decision as to whether a small site in the center of town has more
advantages than a large site outside of town.

Jack Porter