From: Tom Trail [mailto:ttrail@moscow.com]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 11:30 AM
To: vision2020
Subject: Fwd: Professional Firefighters of Idaho

Visionaires--John Carlson shared this report about the so called
"Professional Firefighters of
Idaho."   The group sounds very suspicious and a possible scam.   I've
requested the Idaho
Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Division to investigate.

Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 5

>>From: "JOHN CARLSON" <fjontrr@turbonet.com>
>>To: <RepTrail@infotrail.com>
>>Subject: Professional Firefighters of Idaho
>>Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:46:44 -0700
>>
>>Dear Tom,  yesterday evening I recieved a second call from an organization
>>called the "Professional Firefighters of Idaho" soliciting
>>contributions/donations for their organization.  I asked them what the
>>funds were going to be used for and the young lady said for support
>>services and equipment and such.  I asked her to send me information or
>>literature on this group and she said there was none to send and that they
>>were a legitimate organization registered with the state.  I asked her why
>>they would need donations for safety equipment and whatever because OSHA
>>administration would be able to review their organization and suggest any
>>violations in work safety and in faulty equipment - no response.  I asked
>>her if this organization had insurances such as workmans comp. to cover
>>injury or death of an employee and that in my experience of 55 years in
>>Idaho, those who voluntarily fought forest fires for the usual fire season
>>of 4 months for the high wages which are reportedly up to $40/$80. and hr.
>>dependent upon the job accepted those risks as occupational hazards for
>>that pay and had insurances in the event of injury or catastrophe.  I
>>could hear various noises in the background of the caller and it sounded
>>like a very lively place she was calling from.  She appealed to me by
>>asking if I'd heard of the four people who died fighting fires last month
>>and I said of course but they were people on a job who had accepted those
>>risks for pay and that it was a terrible thing because they in essence
>>became like baked potatoes in their shelters.  This young lady said that's
>>why they needed donations and I again declined without first having
>>recieved literature on goals, purposes for accountability and she said
>>that "I guess you don't want to help the firefighters then"  and then I
>>got pissed.  What kind of young con artist this gal is to beg for money,
>>then to try to give a guilt trip when refused, the little bum.  These are
>>very serious jobs and usually worked by people who want to make serious
>>money doing that job!!!!!   I have many years experience working in the
>>mining, logging and farming industry with all of the hazards and dangers
>>which accompany those jobs, I had insurance, union support and still
>>worked to raise and support a family in an honorable fashion while facing
>>risk of injury or loss of life for more than 4 months a year and more like
>>a constant 12 months for nearly 15 years mining.  This organization needs
>>to be scrutinized and their campaign begging for money at this time of
>>year working on peoples fears of fire, playing on sympathy at the loss of
>>4 young people doing a job they elected to work at and lost their lives
>>for does not make "this organization" an honorable cause to give
> [...]

Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails
1375 Mt. View Rd.
Moscow, Id. 83843