THE CITY THIS WEEK: AN OCCASIONAL VIEW FROM A COUNCIL MEMBER August 13-20, 2001

Dear Visionaries!

Some of the news that fits (with apologies to The New York Times)...

'HOT' DOESN'T COME CLOSE...

The City is in the 'dog days of summer.' And, yes, we're all hotter than... well, suffice it to say that we are ALL deeply grateful for the Hamilton Lowe Aquatics Center (and the beautiful parks and picnic places among other public spaces). Yes, I still love the green frog slide I worked hard to incorporate in the project... By the way: the dog park is getting visitors of the two- and four-legged kind. It's great to see the pups have such a fun time and their owners work out with them.

Remember: you can borrow a dog (I think) from the Humane Society to walk. You might even call me to see if Count Basie or Ella Fitzgerald, my English setters, could be an afternoon adoptee! The Moscow Dog Park is next to White Avenue, just west of the new school bus garage and in front of the City's Animal Shelter and the Humane Society.

NO DREAM TEAM II TODAY...

I found out yesterday that there would NOT be a Dream Team II meeting today at 4 PM so stay tuned for the next meeting date.

YES! PARADISE PATH TASK FORCE TODAY!

The Paradise Path Task Force meets this afternoon at 5:30 P.M. in the air conditioned splendor of the second floor of the City Hall second floor conference room. We'll be crafting our 2001-2002 work program.

One thing for sure on the agenda should be a weeding committee for the Berman Creekside Park. I stopped by last Sunday morning and had a beautiful communion with the bees and butterflies. I also noticed a few unwelcome intruders and did a little informal weeding. If you haven't explored the joys of this segment of the Paradise Path just north (down the hill) from Styner Avenue, take a few early morning or evening moments to visit. It is a beautiful spot and a great tribute to Katrina Berman who was willing to share some land and urge us to keep the willows and spirit of the place.

The butterfly garden is a joy and the 'tomato circle' had a lot of bee activity when I was there Sunday. A swell grass expanse is a natural spot for ball or frisbie and there's always the creek or what's left of it at this time of the year. Those willows continue to be a great attraction: go, see, enjoy!

PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE UPDATE...

Our latest Public Works/Finance Committee on Monday, August 13 dealt with a building location issue (avoid an expansion project over a storm water pipe and try to locate around the site) and an update from the Transportation Commission.

The update from the Transportation Commission was really interesting. The Commission, with the help of Public Works Director Mark Cook, has put together a work program that addresses planning issues for future arterials, a kind of ring road/belt way system around the town, that can preserve corridors for the future. This can ultimately be part of our work with the Idaho Transportation Department to look at a bypass.

The interesting issues that are percolating include questions about land use adjacent to these arterials and design options to make them as people friendly as possible, among others. Stay tuned, because we'll get a presentation at the City Council sometime in the near future. Building the skeletal system of our town, also known as the roads and streets of our town, is critical to our future.

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING: MONDAY, AUGUST 20

The agenda is not available yet. If something momentous comes to my attention, I'll forward information.

WHADDYA KNOW? NOT MUCH... YOU?

This is the time we in Moscow wait for each winter, those days when we can pant like lizards on hot rocks and enjoy an icey lemonade with a little cucumber zest that we got from the vegies we bought at the Farmer's Market the previous Saturday, while gazing at the startlingly beautiful sun flowers and Victorian bouquet tended carefully from Linda Christian at the market (the flower and jam lady) and petting the dogs who are panting just as enthusiasticly!

Enjoy this and wait expectantly for true love and home grown tomatoes. It's summer in Moscow.

All the best,
Linda Pall
Moscow City Council Member

Back to TOC