THE CITY THIS WEEK: AN OCCASIONAL VIEW FROM A COUNCIL MEMBER July 23-August 13, 2001

THE CITY THIS WEEK: AN OCCASIONAL VIEW FROM A COUNCIL MEMBER

July 23 to August 13, 2001

from Linda Pall, Moscow City Council

Dear Visionaries et al.,

I have been on the road: Detroit, Newark, NJ, and New York City… all for the city, all at my expense. Thus, mea culpa for not writing more frequently. I was pleased to hear from several folks that they wanted this to continue and missed it! (Okay, the number was four, but they were all enthusiastic…)

Since my last missive (written 7/16) I got some feedback about the technical side of this. Some Vision 2020 subscribers got my posting without the paragraphing and other stylistics that were part of my version, making the reading of it a big chore. So, I’m trying two ways: I am attaching this column as well as pasting it in. You’ll have two options for access. I hope this makes it easier for everybody to read. Let me know because I am woefully ‘under teched’ and would appreciate any suggestions, instructions and/or outright help.

Council Meetings

We survived the budget marathon, a little worse for the wear but mostly in tact. The budget passed without dissent last night at the Council meeting (8/6).

The UI parking plan which I have roundly criticized elsewhere and won’t bore you with the details here, went through and a one year trial period was formally authorized at last night’s Council meeting (8/6).

Keep an eye on this. There are other university/city issues floating around out there as well as the important policy question of who should manage city right of way.

One moment of levity occurred during this chewing at the 7/16 meeting. When asked to explain how private residences would obtain their parking space, presumably in front of their home, the suggestion was made by University staff that a sign would be placed there denoting the parking space for the use of the particular address or name of the owner. Since this is prompted by the demand for parking near public facilities, I asked, tongue in cheek, when I might expect the ‘Pall Memorial Parking Space’ in front of MY house on A Street, across from Russell School, a very desirable, high demand area during the school year. With a discernible giggle, I added that I would not hold my breath for the designation.

This does, however, illustrate the label on the can of worms we are opening concerning the public right of way. First come, first served is not always a bad idea…

At the first meeting in August, the Council had good news and bad news.

First, the good news. We accepted a deed from Latah County clearing up the title to some of the property for the Paradise Path on the railroad right of way east of Styner. The County included the railroad right of way east of the city limits to Lenville Road which will allow the Paradise Path to include area that is likely to become part of the city as development extends to the east. We’ll be able to link up to the Latah Trail at that point. This portion will connect eventually with the Paradise Path all the way to the Chipman Trail!

Now, the bad. Our efforts to reconstruct and repair parts of Mountain View Road each year got derailed, thanks to bids that came in ‘way over our budgeted amount for the D Street to Paradise Creek bridge section. We decided to reject all bids and solicit again in the winter for next year and combine the funds budgeted for this year and next year into a two part project for next year. This is a high priority with the Mayor and every member of the Council. We all recognize the importance of making Mountain View safer for everyone.

The Dog Park…

Big success, thanks to Casey Wagner, UI student who organized the grand opening. The dogs loved it, the people had a great time and the facility is a tribute to what our dedicated parks department can do with a small amount of City money and an infusion of private donations. Thanks to all who came, including the canines, and to all who donated to make this a reality. Woof!

The Dream Team II…

No, we are not planning an adult aerobics/adult gym facility. Yes, we are planning a facility that will feature Moscow’s youth and give them some meaningful activities on the inside in the inclement weather (and other times too).

Because we’ve been talking about the bricks and mortar part of the project, the programming side has not been emphasized. The folks who came to the last Dream Team meeting interested in early childhood issues should come back and make themselves known. For example, certain facilities for very young children that should be put in place at the initial construction should be discussed. Would it be reasonable to have a separate section for preschooler games and active exercise? What would that look like? Though we do not have endless money, the process is open and fluid and NOT a done deal by any means.

Within the next month approximately, there will be an open house opportunity to comment on schematics for the recreation center. Citizen comment, feedback and review is actively solicited. Stay tuned!

Paradise Path Task Force…

Our next meeting is Tuesday, August 14 at 5:30 PM in the conference room behind the Council Chambers in City Hall.

We have a new infusion of enthusiasm with our need Task Force members, appointed in July. We’ll be tackling all the good stuff and looking at our next priorities for Path connections. The Paradise Creek/links to the Latah Trail are coming along nicely. It’s time to look north to the new subdivisions and development in that part of the community.

Wouldn’t it be a great idea to have developers design their new subdivisions with such open space in mind, as an integral element of the lot and street design? Several years ago, Randall Arendt, the talented landscape architect who has advocated open space subdivisions, gave a two day workshop in Moscow and showed us how to do precisely this. Somewhat smaller individual lots with quite a bit larger community open space made a lot of sense, and looked a lot more inviting than the traditional, garage-prominent back to the street that has been the pattern of recent local subdivisions.

Community is enhanced when there are opportunities to interact with neighbors from a front porch, not hermetically sealed in the back yard. The New Urbanism has some lessons for builders and developers in Moscow. Think about how popular that little development is, called the Cottages just off Pine Cone Road: cute little houses with places to sit out front and the homeowners love them.

The National League of Cities Summer Board Meeting (Detroit) and the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials Summer Board Meeting (Newark)… On the Road!

As chair of NLC’s University Communities Caucus, I was a guest at NLC’s summer board meeting hosted by NLC President, Mayor Dennis Archer of Detroit. It coincided with Detroit’s 300th birthday celebration. What a birthday party! Gladys Knight (minus the Pips), the Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Tall Ships lining the Detroit River and a Detroit Tigers win over the Yankees at Comerica Park… Detroit is alive and well and movin’ up!

NLC continues its commitment to the program, Campaign to Promote Racial Justice, "Undoing Racism," and noted our Idaho Human Rights campaign as a stand-out example.

The Municipalities in Transition panel, a long-term initiative of NLC, has focused on the future of municipal finance systems. The panel, in cooperation with the National Academy of Public Administration and the Brookings Institution, will convene a major issues forum September 13-14, in Washington, DC on The Future of Public Finance. They will look at the implications of a changing economy and highlight the growing demands on municipal governments, outlining the need for increased and new municipal revenue sources.

The Institute for Youth, Education, and Families, launched by NLC in January, 2000, continues to be a key resource for municipal leaders. The Institute projects include activities in education, after-school programs, early childhood development and family economic security. Look forward this September to NLC’s ‘back to school’ kit for municipal officials and the partnership between schools and cities. Without quality schools, we can’t have quality communities!

During the summer workshop and board meeting of the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials in Newark, August 1-4, I explored the Newark Public Library (with free access to computers for word processing and use of some common software for citizens and a fabulous World War II poster and memorabilia exhibition), the Newark Art Museum (a community oriented museum full of interactive opportunities for kids and the young at heart as well as a growing and distinguished collection of the works of African American artists and a swell sculpture garden in addition to the classical conceptions of the European art tradition) and the Passaic Valley Water Treatment Plant (a central sewage treatment facility that serves Newark and 30 plus other northern New Jersey communities with lessons for our own plant!), among other highlights.

We had a most interesting workshop on Census 2000 and the vast array of information available to cities to help with planning, resource allocation and related decisions that depend on where people are and where we think they are going. Moscow’s planning decisions can be enhanced by getting into this information and looking at where we are doing well in housing and related issues and where we need improvement.

Newark is an old city, even older than Detroit. Its hey day in the 19th century left some beautiful mansions and other buildings that are forming the heritage of present day Newark. The Black United Fund of Newark hosted a luncheon at their beautiful three story mansion along a gracious tree-lined street. While Newark was injured seriously by the 1967 riots, the 34 years since those tragic times have meant an opportunity to refocus, regroup and reinvigorate and the results are impressive. Sure, there’s more to do but Newark is on the move, thanks to civic leaders like Donald Tucker, Gail Chaneyfield-Jenkins, and Bessie Walters, all inspiring city council members of Newark.

A wonderful gift from the City of Newark will soon be on the shelves of our local library. Two copies of a comprehensive volume of African American history, just published, were donated to the City and it was my pleasure to present them last night at the Council meeting.

As the regional director from the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, it has been my privilege to be associated with NBC LEO. Originally, I joined because I thought someone from Idaho with the unfortunate reputation concerning race relations we have suffered really needed to reach out and find out what the African American community had on its mind. What I found was so much more. Several years ago I was privileged and honored to have been elected to the Board of Directors.

Thanks to NBC LEO, I have learned about public works projects that are especially productive, street designs that save money, park programs about community and personal heritage and the skills and charisma that my talented African American colleagues bring to their city council work all over the country.

It’s a tribute to the City of Moscow and our commitment to diversity that my involvement in NBC LEO is supported and encouraged. Thanks to my local colleagues for the opportunity!

Want more information about the City?

Try the city’s website, www.moscow.id.us. Everything from jobs to how to get more information about agendas, boards and commissions is available. If you have other questions, call City Hall directly, 883-7000, or call me, 882-7255 (PALL). We’ll try to get you an answer.

Try also the National League of Cities website, www.nlc.org, where you can get more information about the organization and its programs and particularly about the constituency groups, including the University Communities Caucus which I chair, the NBC LEO on whose board I sit, and Women in Municipal Government, which I belong to as a regular member.

All the best,

Linda

THE CITY THIS WEEK July 23 to August 6, 2001.doc

Back to TOC