Re: mall tree removal request information

11 p.m., Thursday, St. Helen's Day, May 18, 2000

From: Sam Scripter, MoscowSam@moscow.com

Thank you for forwarding Jim Fazio's letter, Linda, and thank
you Jim for composing it.

Admittedly, I have not read any proposal from "TheMall," nor
have I heard any presentation from them, BUT, knowing Jim for
some time, I trust the contents of his message.

It is difficult to compose this message because I know that
I am writing in a tone contrary to means of livelihood of
some of my Moscow friends and students who support themselves
through retail sales and services, not only at "TheMall," but
also elsewhere within the community.

I am VERY angered but what I read "TheMall" intends to do.
This is just plain BS!  It is another attempt to draw more
dollars into mall businesses at the expense of the "look"
and ambience of our community.

Fazio is "dead-on" on every count of which "TheMall" must
NOT be permitted to do, especially "manage" the highway-side
trees!  Yes, the proposal seems to be another attempt to
"bite-away" at the "cookie."  With each small concession,
or "mistake," the goal to expose the full face of "TheMall"
in all its nakedness to the public passing by will be achieved.

I grew up in a family supported by my dad's retail hardware
business, so I do have some feel for "retail."  Even so, I
still cannot fathom why every last visual barrier must be
removed to SHOVE RETAIL FRONTS INTO OUR FACES at the
expense of community ambience????

I shop at many stores in "TheMall," so I am a supporter of
their enterprises.

But the proposal just STINKS!  It really P----S me OFF!!!

I must quit before my headache gets any stronger ...

MoscowSam@moscow.com