RE: All Taxpayers - Raise your Hands!

At 01:16 PM 10/07/1999 -0700, Robert Anton-Erik wrote:
> I think the assumption that
>pledges indicate the worth of a show is a biased assumption that should be
>avoided in "public" radio. It allows that PORTION of the listeners who are
>upperclass to have more input into the programming.

With heavy cuts in govt funding for public radio, it is a simple fact of
life that shows with poor pledge ratios will be cut.  Those who dislike
this fact might want to work for increased govt funding of public radio.

Public radio & TV, by the way, have the mission of supporting programming
that may not be commercially viable, but which is of cultural significance.
 Since Rock & Roll is very commercially viable, I would not want our public
radio stations to be broadcasting it.

Bob Hoffmann                         229 East C St., Suite B
Alt-Escape Adventures                Moscow, ID  83843  USA
http://www.alt-escape.com            Phone: (208) 883-0642
                                     Fax: 1-800-683-3799

Back to TOC