Candidate statements

Several of you have asked for information from the candidates for City Council
and discussed a list of questions for us to answer.  I hope those questions are
in the works, but felt that in the meantime I should respond to some of the
questions that had already been asked.

I am Mike Curley, 1913 East E Street, Moscow,  882-3536.  I have a law practice
in Moscow and a clinical professor at the University of Idaho College of Law.
Since January of this year I have served as a member of the Moscow Planning and
Zoning Commission.  One of the issues that came before the Commission this year
was the 51 acre Parkview Estates annexation and subdivision request.  I was the
only member of Planning and Zoning to vote against the subdivision in the form
it was before us, and I would have voted against it in the form it was finally
passed by the City Council.  I thought the development proposed was too dense
(that is, too many residences) and that it was to be constructed in a manner to
minimize traffic in the development at the expense of contiguous
neighborhoods--primarily by making the primary residential streets in the
development cul-de-sacs.  Additionally, I thought that the requirements
inadequate to control the expanded load on the city drainage system.  Since the
city had hop-scotched this acreage when it approved the Quail Run development
further north of the city, it is not very practical or equitable to not annex
the 51 acres if requested by the owners, but I do not think the development as
proposed--and ultimately passed--was in the best interest of the city.  That
development approval is history.  I can only say that as a member of the City
Council I will look at development and annexation requests as critically as I
did this one.  It is my hope that the Council will take a comprehensive look at
the areas surrounding Moscow and anticipate and plan for the eventual inclusion
of those areas most likely to be requested for annexation and development.  The
process of reacting to individual development requests does not serve us well.
All the professional information received in the process--including the public
hearings--is prepared by those hired by the applicants.  Their job is to
represent their client--not the city.  Yes, the City staff provides some input,
but it is not their job--nor perhaps their expertise--to suggest other ways to
develop the property.  They comment primarily on the impact of the development
as proposed.  Only with some advanced thinking and planning can the
problems with the current methods be avoided or minimized.

I have also commented on this list about my thoughts on the Corridor
development.  It is not at all surprising to me that Whitman County officials
seeminly paid little or no attention to the Moscow and Latah County citizens
who responded to their request for input.  What I do think we have some control
over is how and if Moscow participates in the process.  It appears to me that
the Corridor WILL be developed.  The question for us is: where?  From the
information I have received to date, it appears that to develop at the Moscow
(east) end of the corridor, the Moscow water lines must be extended and water
provided by Moscow.  The alternative is to extend lines from Pullman.  That
would be an expensive alternative.  Perhaps business owners, Whitman County,
and the City of Pullman would participate in the process.  My thought, however,
is that Pullman does not want business being further diverted from its core,
and that development is more likely to occur on the Pullman (west) end of the
corridor if Moscow chooses not to help development on the east end.  At this
point, absent significant input from the City of Moscow on development
restrictions in the Corridor, I would not provide any services that encourage
development on the east end.  Someone suggested when I posted this thought
earlier that we should just charge more.  I don't think that is the answer,
even if it were legal to do so (which another writer suggested it was not).

Another issue that landed before Planning and Zoning was the proposed amendment
of the Moscow sign ordinance.  I came to the Commission when that project had
already started.  An ordinance was proposed and a public hearing announced at
which a group of business owners, organized in part through the Chamber of
Commerce, came to speak in opposition to the proposal.  As a result, a
subcommittee of 3 Commission members was appointed to meet with the business
owners AND other interested city residents to hear and consider the objections
and recommend any necessary changes.  The ordinance is (necessarily) complex
because it is not being imposed on barren land about to be developed, but on a
fully developed city with different zoning and construction from one block to
another in some areas.  Nels Reese (chair of the subcommittee), Steve Baxter,
and I were able to draft a proposal that the Commission ultimately passed and
sent to the City Council that largely found approval among both business owners
and other residents.  The process by which that ordinance was developed is one
that I serves the City well and that I would continue, in cooperation with
other Council members.  It is important that we not pit one segment of our
community against the other, but that as elected or appointed officials we do
our best to bring diverse constituencies together to reason in the best
interests of the city as a whole.  And, ultimately, that is the standard by
which I will be guided as a Council member as I have been as a Commission
member.

I know there are many other issues of interest, but I will stop for now.  I
hope other candidates will participate in whatever form you would like.  While
I, too, want to hear from you just as Jack Hill recently requested, I do think
it important that we as candidates express where we stand on exisiting issues
or where we have been on some of the more recent ones.

Regards, and thanks for listening.

Mike Curley
curley@turbonet.com
208-882-3536