Re: Recycling

Relene,

Thanks for your post to clear up confusion surrounding the curbside
recycling program.  I for one, have been impressed by the efforts of Latah
Sanitation, Moscow Recycling and the City of Moscow to bring and strengthen
recycling here in Latah County.  When I travel away from Moscow.  It is
easy to recognize how luckly we are to have a local waste collector and a
municipality so driven to bring the community a quality service.  In many,
many communities around the country.  The waste business has been dominated
by very large companies that do not have the same community focus.

Over the years, there has been criticism of the local recycling efforts and
the costs of those efforts. Initially, those critics failed to see the
value of those commodities.  More recently, we have seen an increase in the
perceived value placed on our recycled commodites.  Perhaps this is a good
trend, one toward seeing the benefit of the material we casually throw
away.  Maybe this is the beginning of our community adopting standards to
reduce waste at the source and not generating as much waste in the first
place.

Curbside recycling deserves a fair shake from the people of this town. In
addition to facilitating recycling for some people, it also has the
potential of reducing the car trips taken by people not currently combining
their recycling trips with other errands.  Thanks LSI/MR/City,  I
appreciate the effort.

Tom

>Seems to be some interest out there regarding curbside recycling and
>other waste reduction issues.  I apologize for the length of my
>response, but so many issues have been raised that I felt it necessary.
>Please feel free to contact me.  I welcome your comments, questions and
>concerns.
>
>Relene Johnson, CEO
>Latah Sanitation, Inc./Moscow Recycling
>

>Attachment converted: Yarinacocha:Recycling Misconceptions 0399.d
>(WDBN/MSWD) (00013957)

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director

Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute
P O Box 8596; 112 West 4th St; Suite #1
Moscow ID 83843-1096
Phone (208)882-1444; Fax (208)882-8029
url:  http://www.moscow.com/pcei

Please Note our individual staff email addresses below:

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director: lamar@pcei.org
Kathleen Lester, Office Manager/Environmental Education: lester@pcei.org
Laurie Gardes, Financial Manager:  gardes@turbonet.com
Anita Grover, Watersheds: grover@pcei.org
Colette DePhelps, Community Food Systems: dephelps@pcei.org
Peggy Adams, Watersheds/Food Systems: peggy931@uidaho.edu
Jon Barrett, Idaho Smart Growth:  smartgro@micron.net
Elaine Clegg, Idaho Smart Growth:  eclegg@micron.net

Celebrating thirteen years of connecting people, place and community.