Re: Office Depot

>the old Ernst site
Double, double bummer!  Such a decision, while certainly legitimate from
the standpoint of free enterprise, is the kind that ought to have
community inputs: "hearing" at the Chamber of Commerce, the Economic
Development Council, perhaps city council/county commissioners (tho' it
may be too politically sensitive), community orgs. having a long-term
interest in our city and environment, and just plain citizens interested
in the quality of life here. When I walk into Ken's Stationery, I know I
can count on inividual attention to my needs, altho' he may not always
have the range of items that the larger "barns" do. And the local
merchants' revenues stay here, while Staples', Office Depot's go who
knows where -- certainly not into local economic coffersm, which enrich
our venture capital locally.  Such developments give us real pause in
regard to how we as a community can participate more effectively in the
social and economic growth of the area. Also, local merchants tend to be
strong supporters of the community, while a manager brought in, say, from
Seattle or San Francisco to manage one more chain may not share the same
commitments. As you state, alternatave uses of the Ernst builduing should
have been on someone's agenda long ago, so that a more wholesome
decision-making process could have been put in place. We have to ask
oursevles, really: "Who does care about these trends?"  The anwers will
lead to the kind of community we shall become. What next, Moscow?

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street
Moscow ID 83843